Monday, November 1, 2010

Colgate/EA Reunion


On Friday I made the two hour journey to a rural area called Njia ya Moramu outside of Arusha. Here fellow Colgate alumna Emily Mason and Episcopal Academy alumna Amy Zug have been working on an HIV awareness project with an international non-profit organization called Support for International Change (SIC). I wanted to learn about their project so I made the trip for the free HIV testing day.

From Arusha I boarded a dalla-dalla traveling west. As the dalla-dalla pulled over to let me out, I must admit I had second thoughts. We were in the middle of nowhere. After a quick phone call I walked about forty minutes off the main road to Emily's home and village. This was definitely not Boma Ng'ombe.

We spent the day walking around with flyers, speaking with people we passed and advertising the free HIV testing that SIC was sponsoring at the medical clinic. It was all very exciting and I was glad to be a part of it. At one point we were talking to a fiery Masai Mama trying to convince her to get tested. As we talked and she grinned through her few brown teeth, she motioned wildly with her hand, and her aged boob popped in and out of her native clothing. We parted ways smiling widely and laughing as the girls tried to trade me off to the Mama in exchange for her taking the HIV test.
 

In the afternoon, we caught a late rush of students walking home from secondary school. One of the Tanzanian employees of SIC nicknamed 'Swigs' worked with us to educate and convince many of the students to get tested. He is clearly passionate about his country and has a great vision for his life of helping children. This particular day we were successful in testing and educating a number of adults and many children. I think that education truly makes a difference in fighting HIV and these few tests will pave the way for many more in the future.

SIC is doing great work through international collaboration and commitment. You can explore what they are doing by visiting www.sichange.org. I was glad to be apart of what they are doing if only for a day.

One of the SIC volunteers takes an HIV test to show the students that it is quick and painless.