Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Welcome

Hello friends and family and welcome to my Tanzania blog.  Prior to my departure on Thursday I wanted to introduce this blog to you as a way of communicating my experiences over the coming months.  I hope you check it frequently and enjoy the content.

As an introduction I though that I would start with explaining the blog's title.  The word "amani" means peace in Swahili.  I chose the name "The Amani Project" for this blog both because the orphanage to which I travel is called Kao La Amani and because I think it reflects the nature of this trip.  It captures the  generosity of the many people who donated the supplies and monetary contributions that I will be bringing with me, and it captures my intentions as a guest, an observer, and a contributor.  Similarly, I consider this a project rather than a trip because of this element of support from our community back home.

So please join me on this journey, follow the adventure, and please email me your thoughts and questions along the way.